Friday, June 1, 2007

Awesome

Here are some pictures I received in an email forward that are interesting.

Perhaps you've seen these before?

Of course, the purpose of this is to show the relative size of the planets and stars we are near, however what it doesn't give us a feel for is the scale of distance between them, and that I believe is just as humbling when attempting to comprehend something that far away (and calling it "near", relatively speaking). The universe truly is awesome. There's no other word for it.







2 comments:

Melissa Mae said...

Do you work at NASA or something? (haha) I think it is fascinating to look at though. Thanks!

SteveM said...

Gosh, I feel small. Especially when you can't even count the number of stars of those varying sizes filling the universe. I wonder if there are stars out there that are so far away the light from them hasn't even gotten to us yet.

I feel small. Then again I think about the creator of the Universe deciding to become a man and walk around on this speck of dust in the universe we call home. I don't feel so small when the the creator of all would even know that I exist in the midst of His vast creation.